John Breed, Diary and Training diary, item 154
- April 5, 2017 01:00:26 Cheryl Ellsworth
uses of 18 pdr Gun.
Against troops in the open, Guarding roads,
Stopping reinforcements, & against lightly
entrenched troops & keeping heads down (or
Advantages of the 18 pdr
(1) Axis of Gun can be moved
independently of its sight (hence independent
line of sight)
(2) 4° traverse each way (quickness &
(3) Fixed Ammunition (hence quick loading)
(4) Percussion firing action
(5) It's lightness, can be brought into action quicker,
can travel continuously with the fastest
infantry & for short distances with Cavalry.
(6) Good cover for the detachment behind
the Shields as all working Nos. are protected
(7) The Gun recoils without moving
(appreciably) the Carriage
(8) A flat trajectory giving a good forward
effect against troops in the open. It is
not a fixed trajectory.